What does it consist of?
You must be stretched out on your back with your head resting on a cushion, the stretcher will move until the urogenital area is in the center of the resonance equipment. The test can last from 20 to 45 minutes. During this time, you will have to remain as calm as possible, since the imaging is not continuous, but different image planes are taken. Once finished you can continue with your daily life as normal.
If necessary, at the beginning of the test a technician will administer contrast to mark the area to be studied.
Cases in which it is recommended
Urological magnetic resonance has multiple uses, including:
- Follow-up of patients with high risk of cancer in some of the urological organs.
- When the rest of the tests do not yield an exact diagnosis.
- Determination of the extent of urological cancer.
How to prepare?
- Metallic objects: The technician will give you the necessary instructions, provide you with a gown, and ask you to remove any metallic objects (jewelry, watches, piercings, hairpins, mobile phones, dental prostheses, and hearing aids).
- Cardiac devices: It is important that you inform the technician about any device that you have implanted in your body (pacemakers, electrodes and clips from previous surgeries).
- Test duration: The test can last from 20 to 45 minutes depending on the study being performed. During this time it is important that you remain still.
- Hydration: Drink plenty of water to remove contrast from the body.